Plastic pollution is a growing problem worldwide. PLASTIC FREE JULY is now! and you can participate with six simple choices to help reduce the impact of plastic in oceans and waterways around the world.
1. Give up plastic bags. A trillion plastic bags are used worldwide every year. Carry reusable bags whenever and wherever you shop.
2. Skip the straw. Americans toss millions of plastic straws every day. When placing an order, ask for a beverage without a straw or carry your own reusable straw.
3. Pass on the plastic bottle. Nearly a million plastic beverage bottles are sold every minute. Invest in, and carry, refillable water bottles for all family members.
4. Avoid plastic packaging. Look for alternative packaging when you shop. Avoid produce that is sheathed in plastic. Buy in bulk.
5. Recycle what you can. Follow the recycle guide for your area. City residents may find this at cityofsantacruz.com/recycleright. Unincorporated county residents may contact Green Waste Recovery for recycling information.
6. Don’t litter. Keep Santa Cruz clean and litter free.
You might also consider giving up at least one single-use plastic item for the entire month and add more items weekly.
Learn more about plastic pollution and take the plastic or planet pledge at: www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/plasticpledge.
Help all of us in the City of Santa Cruz turn the tide on plastic this PLASTIC FREE JULY! #plasticfreesantacruz