Maria Averon built the Averon House in 1877 near the Soquel River and present-day Bay Avenue and Porter Street ramp off Highway 1, in Capitola, California. The house was built on land granted to Martina Castro in the 1830s and ‘40s by Governor José Figueroa through a Mexican land grant. In 1850, after her husband passed away, she divided the more than 35,000 acres among herself and her eight children. One of those heirs was her daughter Maria Guadalupe Averon, who cared for Martina until her death in the Averon home in 1890.
In 1884, the Averon House was moved to where it sits today. Although it is behind the Capitola Mansion Apartments, it remains partially visible from the street. It was rescued from demolition in the mid-1970s through the efforts of local historical societies in Soquel, Capitola, and Santa Cruz.
Read the rest of the story to see what the Averon House has to do with the neighboring Camellia Tea House, at mobileranger.com.
Like the Content? It’s by and © Mobile Ranger. Check out all our blogposts and our free mobile app with sixteen high quality self-guided mobile tours of the Santa Cruz coast at www.mobileranger.com. Please like us on Facebook!